In order to work in the United States of America, you must obtain a visa, which may vary depending on the duration of your employment contract and your stay in the country. In fact, unless you decide to enter the U.S. as a tourist and then stay in the States for a maximum period of 90 days with the ESTA visa, you must always apply for and obtain a special permit.
To work in the States, there are two main types of visa:
- Temporary Work Visa offering the possibility to enter and stay in the USA with a temporary job
- Green Card allowing to settle permanently in the country, thus obtaining a permanent work permit
The Temporary Work Visa allows a stay in the country exclusively for the duration of the contract.
Instead, to apply for and obtain the Green Card for the States – in principle – the procedures are:
- get married to an American citizen
- have a relative in the USA who applies for the Family Immigration Green Card
- having an employer (sponsor) who applies for the Employment Immigration Green Card for you
- participate in the Diversity Visa Program lottery, which offers a limited number of Green Cards that can be obtained by winning the lottery each year
Where to find a job
However, there are several possibilities for active job search in the USA:
- apply directly to companies, selecting them among those that best reflect their skills
- consult websites specialized in job search
- contact temporary employment agencies
- check the website of the Department of Labor (dol.gov) which, normally, provides various online tools to help the candidate in the search
Job opportunities can be found in the following specialized portals:
- ams.org (consult the job offers in the academic field)
Finally, if you prefer to rely on temporary employment agencies in America, here is a list of the major ones present on almost all the US territory:
If your idea is to live and work in America, it is clearly also a good idea to know how employment contracts work in the States, what are the working hours and what are the average salaries in the country.
With regard to the latter information, the average wages, you should specify that a lot depends on the state or city where you are going to live.
Finally, speaking of employment contracts, clearly, there are many possibilities and – in principle – they can offer you the equivalent of fixed-term, permanent, on-call, project, occasional collaboration, etc..
In general, among the most sought-after jobs in the USA we certainly see those related to the medical industry and therefore in the Health Care sector. In this sense, looking for a job as OSS, as a doctor, nurse or obstetrician, could be an excellent employment opportunity in America.
After that, the Finance and Insurance sector follows, while in third place is the Automotive industry.
Knowing which certificates are admitted in the USA for a professional or specialized job is almost impossible for this reason, as is often suggested by Embassies in America, it is better to always contact an Evaluation Service Agency and obtain from them, for a fee, a document proving the recognition of any titles and validity.